Many people have heard of dental implants and wonder what they are and how they’re different than other missing-tooth options. Implant dentistry in New York uses a titanium artificial tooth root. It is inserted into the jawbone and allowed to heal and fuse with the jaw. Once that is accomplished, a crown or cap is put on top of the post using an abutment. They can be used as an alternative to dentures or as a support to the dentures. They can also be used with dental bridges to offer more stability and support.
A Modern Solution
Dentists everywhere believe that implant dentistry in New York is one of the most effective and cost-efficient solutions to tooth loss. While they try to save teeth whenever possible, you may already have lost one or more. Plus, you may not like other treatment options and want to consider an extraction with implantation. Whether you’re missing one or all of your teeth, implants can be beneficial, as they:
- Feel, look, and act like your natural teeth.
- Are longer-lasting and stronger replacement for missing teeth.
- Allow you to chew, talk, and use force as with natural teeth.
- Require no alternations to the tooth structure (as dental bridges would).
- Prevent or stop bone loss that happens when a tooth is missing.
- Prevent bacteria from forming in the spaces/gaps.
Implant dentistry in New York does require that the post is surgically placed into the jaw, so it is considered surgery. However, with the modern technology available to dentists, no sutures, and less cutting is required. Plus, most people don’t experience any pain or discomfort after the operation.
Dentures used to be the only option if you lost a tooth, but implants allow you to have more choices and take charge of your oral health.