Some dental patients may need to undergo maxillofacial surgery in Fishers IN in order to treat problems related to the hard and soft tissues in the mouth and jaws. While many oral surgeries may be performed by general dentists, more complex or invasive procedures require a maxillofacial surgeon.
Types of Procedures Performed by Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Tooth Extractions- This is perhaps the most common of all the surgeries. Most commonly, this procedure is performed when the individual’s wisdom teeth are impacted.
- Orthognathic Surgery (Corrective Jaw) – This is performed when orthodontics is not enough to correct a misaligned bite.
- Cleft Lip- A surgery that corrects facial structure changes that were caused at birth.
Other procedures may include dental implants, bone grafting, denture reshaping, oral cancers, and assisting in improving the results and symptoms caused by obstructive sleep apnea.
A professional who specializes in maxillofacial surgery in Fishers IN are the most unique types among dental specialists. They are required to complete four years of dental school, after which they spend an additional four years in a hospital-based residency program to train for surgery. They are the only health care specialist alongside an anesthesiologist who can administer all levels of sedation, up to general anesthesia.
Choosing a Maxillofacial Surgeon
It is important for an individual to feel confident in their oral surgeon. Listed below are a few tips for ensuring the right one is chosen for their needs.
- The first step an individual should take is to talk to their general dentist. The dentist is the best person to recommend an oral surgeon since they are aware of the ailments. If the dentist does not have a recommendation in mind, be sure to ask family, friends and other patients who they recommend.
- Visit the oral surgeon’s clinic. Ask the surgeon for a diagnosis and what they recommend. The diagnosis should be similar to the one that the general dentist provided.
- Be sure to check the costs of how different oral surgeons charge for the operation needed. Ask what lab the surgeon will be using and if any fees are associated. It is also important to find out if there is any fee associated with anesthesia.
It is important to take care of any procedures when it comes to oral health. Select an oral surgeon who has been practicing oral surgery for a long time to ensure the best outcome. For more information, contact us today.